Get ready to elevate your ALA Annual Conference experience with this exciting lineup of PLA programs. Curated specifically for public library workers, these engaging sessions are thoughtfully designed to inspire, inform, and enrich your professional journey. Don’t miss out on this opportunity to connect with fellow public library professionals and take your conference experience to the next level.
Saturday, June 24, 2023 – 8:30 AM–10:00 AM Central
Hilton Chicago, Continental A
Join PLA President Dr. Maria McCauley to enjoy free coffee, learn about exciting opportunities from PLA, and hear from New York Times bestselling author Jean Kwok. This is a great time to catch up with your public library peers and be entered for a chance to win a free PLA 2024 Conference registration! All PLA members are encouraged to attend. No ticket required, but please RSVP via this link.
Jean Kwok is the award-winning, New York Times and international bestselling author of The Leftover Woman (October 10, 2023) Searching for Sylvie Lee, Girl in Translation, and Mambo in Chinatown. Her work has been published in twenty countries and taught in universities, colleges, and high schools across the world.
Below is a list of PLA’s educational programming at the 2023 ALA Annual Conference. Dates/times, descriptions, etc. are available in the ALA Annual Conference Scheduler. A full schedule of PLA meetings, programs, and other events at the 2023 ALA Annual Conference is also available in the ALA Annual Conference Scheduler.
- A Procrastinator’s Guide to the 2023/2024 Solar Eclipses
- Accessible Digital Libraries: Navigating Library Reading Apps with Vision-Impaired Patrons
- Approaches to Collaborative Programming From Local to Statewide
- Collecting Stories from Underrepresented Communities: How to Co-Design a Community Archive at Your Public Library
- Conquering Cataloging: new perspectives with a new tool
- Culture In My Neighborhood: Bringing the Arts To Every Community and Every Library
- Data-Driven Planning and Advocacy for Public Libraries
- Designing Community-Responsive Mental Health Programs
- Diversi-TEAM: Building effective teams with diversity in mind
- Leadership by Design; A human-centered approach for library leaders
- Library of Things: Increasing Engagement & Digital Literacy to Empower Your Community
- Library Resilience from Coast to Coast: Lessons from Disaster Research to Engage Your Community and Empower Your Staff
- News You Can Use—Plug into DigitalLearn: New Programs and Opportunities for your Library
- PLA Legal Issues in Public Libraries Forum
- Programming for Accessibility: Workshops, Graphic Design and 508 Compliance (Core co-sponsored by PLA)
- Reconsideration Committee: Strengthening our Response to Customer Challenges
- Reimagining School Readiness Toolkit for Libraries
- Scalable Media Labs: Building Your Own Public Library Media Space
- Security in Today’s Libraries
- Socioeconomic Mixing: Creating Public Libraries Where Everyone Belongs
- Telehealth in Libraries: What You Need to Know
- The Data Storytelling Toolkit for Librarians
- Therapy Cards: Mental Health Resources at the Library
- Transforming Community: A Rural Librarians Story
- Transforming Public Libraries’ Approach to Digital Literacy: Tools for Success
- Trust the Kids: How Chicago Public Library Supports Youth Autonomy
- Understanding Community by the Numbers
- Wish there was an App for that? Build one! Learn the processes needed to create a custom application and take your library from wishing to the app stores.